Thank you to Community Bank Malvern East Bendigo Bank for such an informative and invaluable event covering Scam Protection.
During this event Ruth, Manager from Community Bank Malvern East explained some of the common scams affecting Australians today, tips and tricks on identifying and avoiding scams, and information about what to do if you have fallen victim to a scammer.
Some of the key highlights from the event include:
Treat all calls and texts as suspicious. A bank or institution would not ask you for your personal details. If someone knocked on your door you would not let them in.
– Delete your real date of birth on facebook and hide any sensitive data as scammers are using all the data they can get from you
– Make all your security questions cryptic and not related to family members names or any photos you may have posted
– Block callers on your phone.
– Check your banking daily via a banking app and use face ID to open your banking app (instead of a password)
– Do not share your bank log in details with family, friends, spouses or your children.
– Trust your banks and call them if you are concerned about any calls that are claiming to be a bank.
During the event, community members were provided with a copy of the ACCC ‘Little Black Book of Scams’ we encourage you to read this helpful tool and for more information on scams, please visit Scamwatch
NEW PROGRAM COMING IN TERM 3
We are excited to be collaborating with JoCare. If you are seeking help with technology (iphones, mobile phones, ipads etc) Jo Care will be offering digital help to our community in Term 3, each Wednesday from 9am – 10am. These are drop in sessions and are free of charge. The sessions will be running from Wednesday 12 July until Wednesday 13th Sept. For further information please contact Jo Care on 0468 732 999.